When you think of a typical rap group, usually the last image that comes to mind is one male emcee and two female singers, but Brooklyn bred Talib Kweli is not your ordinary rapper, and Idle Warship is not your typical group. Comprised of Kweli, Philadelphia singer (and frequent Kweli collaborator) Res and Canadian singer Graph Nobel, Idle Warship has a unique sound and flow, to say the least. On their new single, Bedroom Lites, the group takes turns rapping about a steamy night over a retro sounding beat produced by Co-T, who creates a real ‘80s vibe by combining vocals and heavy percussion to create a truly distinctive sound. The group has great chemistry, as evidenced by how easily Kweli flows in and out between the two singers - whose smooth, occasionally robotic vocals are the icing on the cake - although I have to admit the track did leave me wanting more from Kweli, whose verses seemed short. Bedroom Lites is off the Party Robot mixtape, which dropped late last month.
Written by matt juss on 12/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.