You don’t see country singers arguing about who truly represents rural Oklahoma, but in hip-hop authenticity and geography are paramount. No one knows that better than legendary gangsta rap inventor turned family friendly movie star Ice Cube, whose now finds himself in a low simmering beef with the so-called New West movement about who truly can claim that, I Rep That West. While an appropriately slapping beat from producer Jigg bangs in the background, Cube vocals low rides the track, assuring newcomers that while he may also rep Are We There Yet, he’s still Cali for life. Since I also call the west coast home I feel justified in at least saying that this hook does not do the golden state proud, but otherwise, I feel like we’ve got a banger on our hands. Who disagrees? For more left coast hip-hop keep it locked for the release of Cube’s upcoming album I Am the West (notice a theme?) set to drop July 13.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/27/10
Lench Mob Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Is Los Angeles ft. Ice Cube" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.