Is it ever a bad day to listen to It Was a Good Day? To answer my own rhetorical question, hell no. Whether you’re looking to upgrade a decent morning to “great” or salvage a day that’s gotten off on the wrong foot, Ice Cube‘s classic ‘93 single (the second off junior album The Predator) is always an excellent selection—and, as such, we’ve chosen it for the latest installment of Throwback Thursdays. Conceived during 1992, when Cube was “at the top of the rap game,” the record saw the rapper departing from his usual, gritty lyrical approach to depict the occasional brighter side of life in South Central. DJ Pooh‘s wistful flip of Isley Brothers classic Footsteps in the Dark bangs in the back as the emcee recounts 24 hours’ worth of blessings, from the modest (“Today I didn’t even have to use my AK.”) to the miraculous (“Even saw the lights of the Goodyear blimp / and it read ‘Ice Cube’s a Pimp.’”). The equally classic video by F. Gary Gray (who went on to direct Friday) offers a literal illustration of the joint’s lyrics, up until the twist ending that sets the stage for follow-up Check Yo Self. If this blast from the past leaves you craving more from Cube, stay tuned; the emcee’s 10th full-length, Everythang’s Corrupt, is slated to drop via Lench Mob before the year is out.
Written by richard on 06/27/13
Lench Mob Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Is Los Angeles ft. Ice Cube" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)