Today’s music industry is as crowded and unforgiving as it’s ever been, and aspiring artists unwilling to sacrifice their shut-eye to the Almighty Grind are doomed to be left in the dust. I.L., for one, isn’t about to let that happen—on newly-leaked mixtape cut We Don’t Sleep (the artist’s first Booth feature), the Cleveland up-and-comer explains that, when he’s on his grind, all-nighters (sometimes several in a row) are simply a fact of life. The “heart, soul, [and] passion” the emcee brings to his craft come through loud and clear in his feverish flow, and Philly beatsmith Fresh Prodeuce drives the point home with a relentlessly pounding, almost militaristic beat driven by double-time percussion, ominous strings, and spaghetti-Western horn accents. I.L. may be pushing himself to the limit, but his skills clearly haven’t suffered for his lack of beauty rest. Whether you share the artist’s insomniac tendencies or simply can’t function without those seven-to-eight hours a night, though, do yourself a favor and don’t sleep on the artist’s Don Cannon-presented Rocket Science mixtape, due out “soon.”
Written by richard on 08/13/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.