Released in late July, the debut project from I/O (aka Ayo Olatunji) saw him grappling with the pain of Isolation. How did he get to that dark place? Unsurprisingly, there seems to have been a woman involved. On You Slay Me, a freshly-released bonus track off the project, the Northeastern singer, songwriter and producer addresses the individual who cut his heart out and threw it on the ground, showcasing a silky falsetto and mournful overdubbed harmonies over his own atmospheric, intricately-textured production. This cathartic, emotionally-charged cut is just one of many quality jams to be found on the artist’s freshman street album, available here for free streaming and digital download. Happen to be in NYC and have a free evening? I/O will be performing his first-ever live set tonight, as part of a CMJ showcase at SoHo venue SOB’s.
Written by richard on 10/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.