Released in late July, the debut project from I/O (aka Ayo Olatunji) saw him grappling with the pain of Isolation. How did he get to that dark place? Unsurprisingly, there seems to have been a woman involved. On You Slay Me, a freshly-released bonus track off the project, the Northeastern singer, songwriter and producer addresses the individual who cut his heart out and threw it on the ground, showcasing a silky falsetto and mournful overdubbed harmonies over his own atmospheric, intricately-textured production. This cathartic, emotionally-charged cut is just one of many quality jams to be found on the artist’s freshman street album, available here for free streaming and digital download. Happen to be in NYC and have a free evening? I/O will be performing his first-ever live set tonight, as part of a CMJ showcase at SoHo venue SOB’s.
Written by richard on 10/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.