No, it isn’t April Fools’ Day, and we didn’t deliberately mix up the mp3s to trick Boothgoers into listening to country music. (Though, now that I think about it, that would have been hilarious.) The snippet of Marc Collie’s In Time that serves as intro to I-20‘s latest mixtape leak may throw some listeners for a loop, but it could hardly be a better mood-setter; making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Bury Me has a morbid vibe that’ll make fans of old-school country and blues feel right at home. Backed by the desolate yet banging boardwork of Salaam Remi, the deep-voiced ATLien says his final goodbyes and proceeds to describe what he’d like to go down at his funeral service. All the women he’s ever loved will bring their finest friends, the preacher will read out of the rapper’s own rhyme book, and drug use will be not only encouraged but compulsory: “Make everyone pop a pill, I want ‘em rollin’ when I die.” Now that’s a celebration of life. Does this banging dose of gallows humor leave you craving more? Keep it locked for the latest on I-20’s DJ Bobby Black-hosted They Grey Area mixtape, which currently lacks a release date.
Written by richard on 11/3/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Really Like Her ft. Ludacris & Rocko" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.