When I think about Salt Lake City, I think of Mormonism and the 2002 Winter Olympics. Underground hip-hop? Not so much. Rather than playing down the uniqueness of their background and repping Salt Lake as if it were Brooklyn or Atlanta, however, Booth Hurris & Gig have gone the exact opposite route with video single, Ham ‘n’ Eggs, exaggerating outsiders’ perceptions of their hometown to hilarious extremes. Over the fluttering piano keys and chopped soul vocals of beatsmith Ante, Hurris kicks off his opening verse with a shout-out to “...all [his] LDSers,” and Flamingo Films’ visuals depict the crew staging an Oh Brother Where Art Thou-esque escape before rocking the stage at an old-timey barn dance. Feeling it? Then keep it locked for more creative jams leading up to the late-2012 release of Hurris & Gig’s forthcoming full-length, As Good As It Was.
Written by richard on 08/31/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.