If you happen to pass LostPoet on the streets of his native Anaheim, just keep walking. Judging by Leave Me Alone, his first feature and the latest single from Marseillaise beatsmith Hugo Kant, he ain’t exactly what you’d call a people person. With that said, listeners shouldn’t let the unwelcoming title scare them away from this aurally adventurous jam. Behind the boards, Kant establishes a unique atmosphere, blending an incongruous set of sounds—harpsichord, Eastern vocal melodies, reggae-guitar riffs, psychedelic organ, cinematic samples—into a surprisingly cohesive backdrop for his collaborator’s streetwise, cynical verses. Like what you’re hearing? More eclectic, immersive jams await on the producer’s new EP of the same title, available now for purchase via Bandcamp.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.