Considering it’s been more than three years since Fidel Cashflow last showed his face in the Booth, I think it’s time to move on and fill that hilarious rap moniker-shaped hole in my life. Thus, I’m very proud to present the heir to the “Funniest Stage Name” crown, Booth newcomer Hoodie Allen. I’ll give y’all a second to savor the absurd image of the neurotic, 75-year-old comedian rocking urban attire… OK. Moving right along, the Big Apple repper’s got much more to offer than a fresh pseudonym, as evidenced by new single The Chase Is On. On this pop-appealing cut, beatsmith’ RJF‘s bubbly synth-percussion arrangement gets heads a-nodding as the emcee tells a story of love at first sight. Addressing a female whose beauty had him head-over-heels at first glance, Allen showcases a winning mix of wit, confidence and vulnerability. Best line? I’m gonna have to go with, “Are you from Wu-Tang? Then why your Face Ghost?” If this clever (and dopely-named) up-and-comer’s won you over, then be sure to cop his new Leap Year mixtape when it hits the ‘net this Tuesday, the 26th. In the meantime, fans can peep the official video, co-starrring Sofia Black of Skins, here.
Written by richard on 07/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Party at the Beach House" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.