Much has been made of the way hip-hop radio has devolved from an authentic display of a thriving culture by DJs personally connected to the scenes they’re covering, into a homogeneous showcase of music pre-selected by corporate fat-cats (see AWKWORD‘s recently-featured Radio 2.0). Few venture to consider how the voices on the airwaves may struggle with their job demands of them, but on new single Second Chances, Honors English does just that and then some, delivering a trio of lyrical profiles in courage over Needlz’ emotionally-fraught boardwork. After describing how a rising DJ defied her corporate overlords by playing the tunes she loved, the Northeastern buzzmaker chronicles his Dry Rain label boss’ battle against throat cancer, and ends by recounting how his mother went back to school to get the education she missed out on due to her unplanned pregnancy. Complete with an empathetic hook by Karina Pasian, this uplifting selection is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on Honors E.‘s State of the Art LP, scheduled for release February 22.
Written by richard on 01/26/12
Dry Rain Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Flying High" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.