Much has been made of the way hip-hop radio has devolved from an authentic display of a thriving culture by DJs personally connected to the scenes they’re covering, into a homogeneous showcase of music pre-selected by corporate fat-cats (see AWKWORD‘s recently-featured Radio 2.0). Few venture to consider how the voices on the airwaves may struggle with their job demands of them, but on new single Second Chances, Honors English does just that and then some, delivering a trio of lyrical profiles in courage over Needlz’ emotionally-fraught boardwork. After describing how a rising DJ defied her corporate overlords by playing the tunes she loved, the Northeastern buzzmaker chronicles his Dry Rain label boss’ battle against throat cancer, and ends by recounting how his mother went back to school to get the education she missed out on due to her unplanned pregnancy. Complete with an empathetic hook by Karina Pasian, this uplifting selection is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on Honors E.‘s State of the Art LP, scheduled for release February 22.
Written by richard on 01/26/12
Submit your Rating
Dry Rain Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Flying High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.