Much has been made of the way hip-hop radio has devolved from an authentic display of a thriving culture by DJs personally connected to the scenes they’re covering, into a homogeneous showcase of music pre-selected by corporate fat-cats (see AWKWORD‘s recently-featured Radio 2.0). Few venture to consider how the voices on the airwaves may struggle with their job demands of them, but on new single Second Chances, Honors English does just that and then some, delivering a trio of lyrical profiles in courage over Needlz’ emotionally-fraught boardwork. After describing how a rising DJ defied her corporate overlords by playing the tunes she loved, the Northeastern buzzmaker chronicles his Dry Rain label boss’ battle against throat cancer, and ends by recounting how his mother went back to school to get the education she missed out on due to her unplanned pregnancy. Complete with an empathetic hook by Karina Pasian, this uplifting selection is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on Honors E.‘s State of the Art LP, scheduled for release February 22.
Written by richard on 01/26/12
Dry Rain Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Flying High" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.