You never really know quite what to expect when it comes to DJBooth veteran Homeboy Sandman. So it should come as no surprise that the emcee’s latest song release, Brown, is quite the hip-hop anomaly. Kicking off with what sounds like a combination of a xylophone and hand drums Brown is truly the unique jam. Jonti’s unexpected, but pleasing production, which was previously featured on Radiolab’s Colors podcast, gives Brown the sound of a record you’d likely never expect from a NY emcee. It’s soothing, slightly tropical, and mildly hypnotizing. While Brown isn’t attached to any particular project, the Queens emcee is hard at work on his debut album, First Of A Living Breed, which is set for release this fall, via Stones Throw Records.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fully Equipped" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.