It’s rare that one record can transform a person’s life, but Hit-Boy suddenly found himself a household name (in hip-hop households at least) after producing Kanye and Jay-Z’ epic Ni**as in Paris. Before he could even blink he was sitting in stadiums, listening to The Throne play his song 14 times in a row and fielding requests for beats from rappers worldwide (see Goldie). But now with new video single Jay-Z Interview, the California native is determined to show the world that he’s a true musical double threat on both the mic and behind the boards. Produced by another Kanye associate B!nk, Interview’s is a horn infused, openly celebratory affair that brings some serious soul. On the vocals the Surf Club member proves that he can both flow and use that pen, throwing down references that range from Robert Frost to Hova to Derek Fisher: “Trying to charge me with a flagrant, but I will not stop / they tryin to Derek Fisher the boy, but I will not flop.” While there’s no word yet on a project from Hit-Boy, I think we can assume we’ll be hearing much more from the man soon…both as a producer and an emcee.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All Good" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.