I can’t believe that today Lil Wayne gets out of jail and the first thing we hear from him is this new track! Just kidding. I figured an intro like that would grab the attention of those just skimming DJBooth’s pages – and now that I have it, allow me to present the first Booth feature from Hippopotamus Funk, one of the (appropriately) funkiy hip-hop melds I’ve heard in a minute. The Brooklyn foursome throw down some heavy and creative lyrics on their new record The Funky Basement over an impressive guitar-laden and beatbox heavy production from Philly Blunts and the group themselves. Featuring the sky high rhymes of guests Skit and Righta, the Basement is impressive from the get go, flowing with line after line of original, conceptual and on occasion, hilarious imagery: “Remain anonymous when rolling with Hippopotamus (funk!) / trunk full of homegrown cannibus / thoughts synonymous with those of Nostradamus’ / only way to be stopping us is with a lot of coladapins.” While this one isn’t part of a larger project, hopefully the response will be strong enough to inspire Hippopotamus to emerge from the basement with a full project soon.
Written by Sigurd on 11/4/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.