If you’re a rapper coming up from Chicago, chances are you’ll automatically be filed under one of two categories: either the funky, creative “No ID type” (Kanye, Common, Lupe, Cool Kids) or the lyrically-hardcore “Traxster type” (Twista, Do or Die, Crucial Conflict, Sly Polaroid). Though futuristically-minded rapper HiCLAS! can slaughter a good number of MCs on a local freestyle battle, he still knows what it takes to leave the crowds screaming “Encore!” until the fire marshal has to kick ‘em out of the venue. 31st Century producer Tony backs The Closer with a forward-thinking spin on the ‘rap-anthem’ instrumental, blending the styles of Cool & Dre, Mannie Fresh, The Runners, DJ Paul & Juicy J, and quite a few other hard-hitting beatsmiths. Plenty of other Chi-Towners have found support inside the DJ Booth; and there’s no reason HiCLAS! shouldn’t do the same. If you like what you’re hearing, grab a copy of The Unidentified Mixtape, available now online.
Written by Burmy on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.