If you’re a rapper coming up from Chicago, chances are you’ll automatically be filed under one of two categories: either the funky, creative “No ID type” (Kanye, Common, Lupe, Cool Kids) or the lyrically-hardcore “Traxster type” (Twista, Do or Die, Crucial Conflict, Sly Polaroid). Though futuristically-minded rapper HiCLAS! can slaughter a good number of MCs on a local freestyle battle, he still knows what it takes to leave the crowds screaming “Encore!” until the fire marshal has to kick ‘em out of the venue. 31st Century producer Tony backs The Closer with a forward-thinking spin on the ‘rap-anthem’ instrumental, blending the styles of Cool & Dre, Mannie Fresh, The Runners, DJ Paul & Juicy J, and quite a few other hard-hitting beatsmiths. Plenty of other Chi-Towners have found support inside the DJ Booth; and there’s no reason HiCLAS! shouldn’t do the same. If you like what you’re hearing, grab a copy of The Unidentified Mixtape, available now online.
Written by Burmy on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)