Usually, the term “Front Runner” is used to describe someone who’s leading the pack in a particular field or competition. Needless to say, it’s a very good thing to be. On a less complimentary tip, though, it can also mean a fair-weather friend: someone who’s with you when you’re on top, then disappears when the chips are down. It’s the latter definition that Hi-Tone employs on this freshly-minted single, his first feature since September 2012 Booth debut M.I.A. With the help of a few gridiron-themed metaphors, he emphasizes his lack of tolerance for disloyalty among his inner circle: “I cut you like a coach—pre-season / You ain’t on my team, you ain’t wide receivin’.” Beatsmith Jay Nari‘s chopped strings offer a tuneful counterpoint to the emcee’s forceful bars. Feeling it? More awaits on Breaking Ankles (The Crossover EP), available online as of January 28.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)