Usually, the term “Front Runner” is used to describe someone who’s leading the pack in a particular field or competition. Needless to say, it’s a very good thing to be. On a less complimentary tip, though, it can also mean a fair-weather friend: someone who’s with you when you’re on top, then disappears when the chips are down. It’s the latter definition that Hi-Tone employs on this freshly-minted single, his first feature since September 2012 Booth debut M.I.A. With the help of a few gridiron-themed metaphors, he emphasizes his lack of tolerance for disloyalty among his inner circle: “I cut you like a coach—pre-season / You ain’t on my team, you ain’t wide receivin’.” Beatsmith Jay Nari‘s chopped strings offer a tuneful counterpoint to the emcee’s forceful bars. Feeling it? More awaits on Breaking Ankles (The Crossover EP), available online as of January 28.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.