Usually, the term “Front Runner” is used to describe someone who’s leading the pack in a particular field or competition. Needless to say, it’s a very good thing to be. On a less complimentary tip, though, it can also mean a fair-weather friend: someone who’s with you when you’re on top, then disappears when the chips are down. It’s the latter definition that Hi-Tone employs on this freshly-minted single, his first feature since September 2012 Booth debut M.I.A. With the help of a few gridiron-themed metaphors, he emphasizes his lack of tolerance for disloyalty among his inner circle: “I cut you like a coach—pre-season / You ain’t on my team, you ain’t wide receivin’.” Beatsmith Jay Nari‘s chopped strings offer a tuneful counterpoint to the emcee’s forceful bars. Feeling it? More awaits on Breaking Ankles (The Crossover EP), available online as of January 28.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.