Usually, the term “Front Runner” is used to describe someone who’s leading the pack in a particular field or competition. Needless to say, it’s a very good thing to be. On a less complimentary tip, though, it can also mean a fair-weather friend: someone who’s with you when you’re on top, then disappears when the chips are down. It’s the latter definition that Hi-Tone employs on this freshly-minted single, his first feature since September 2012 Booth debut M.I.A. With the help of a few gridiron-themed metaphors, he emphasizes his lack of tolerance for disloyalty among his inner circle: “I cut you like a coach—pre-season / You ain’t on my team, you ain’t wide receivin’.” Beatsmith Jay Nari‘s chopped strings offer a tuneful counterpoint to the emcee’s forceful bars. Feeling it? More awaits on Breaking Ankles (The Crossover EP), available online as of January 28.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.