As R&B connoisseurs who’ve had their ear to the Booth may have noticed, the pop game has recently seen a resurgence of interest in Keith Sweat‘s classic output; Beyoncé paid homage to 1987 cut Right and a Wrong Way on hit single Party, Emanny followed the Destiny’s Child alum’s lead on her own Young & Ready, and now Heather Victoria‘s looking to the New Jack Swing icon for inspiration on her latest EP single—a Booth-exclusive world premiere! Backed by a sultry vocoder/piano groove adapted from Sweat’s ‘96 hit single of the same title (flipped by beatsmith Eric G.), this heartfelt selection finds the Jamla Records soul songstress assuring her man that, despite their relationship’s daily ups and downs, there’s Nobody who can make her feel like he does. ActProof rhymesayer Sundown gets allusive on the guest tip, namedropping his favorite members of the saxophone family and a handful of outdated video/photo formats on his double entendre-laced middle 16. Has this retro-informed burner left you craving more? You’re in luck—Victoria’s latest project, the DJBooth-sponsored Hip-Hop Soul Lives, is set to hit our mixtape page this evening for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Work" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.