When I awoke this morning I assumed it was 2013 but, after hearing the latest record from HD, I think we could be back in the ‘90s. (Though, if that’s the case, I am not sure what to make of my speedy Internet connection and iPhone.) Once the newcomer’s song starts, you are going to wish it Don’t Stop, because HD’s throwback sound (see also: Joey BadA$$, Bishop Nehru) is a breath of fresh air. At work under HD’s rhymes is producer Soulman Beats, who cooks up a smooth, jazzy instrumental that is about as fluid as the emcee’s style. Atop the beat, HD showcases a crisp, yet laid-back flow that makes his clever, dense bars hit even harder. Don’t Stop is the first single off the New York repper’s Stepping Into Tomorrow tape, which is set to drop next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)