When I awoke this morning I assumed it was 2013 but, after hearing the latest record from HD, I think we could be back in the ‘90s. (Though, if that’s the case, I am not sure what to make of my speedy Internet connection and iPhone.) Once the newcomer’s song starts, you are going to wish it Don’t Stop, because HD’s throwback sound (see also: Joey BadA$$, Bishop Nehru) is a breath of fresh air. At work under HD’s rhymes is producer Soulman Beats, who cooks up a smooth, jazzy instrumental that is about as fluid as the emcee’s style. Atop the beat, HD showcases a crisp, yet laid-back flow that makes his clever, dense bars hit even harder. Don’t Stop is the first single off the New York repper’s Stepping Into Tomorrow tape, which is set to drop next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.