If you think hip hop has been missing out on songs with snappy piano melodies and boom bap drums, look no further because you’ve hit paydirt. Emcee/producer HCM delivers the goods with a minimalist vibe, but that doesn’t make his new single and first DJBooth feature, The Gathering, any less head nod-worthy. HCM and fellow producer Max Savage remind us of world renowned architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, whose infinite wisdom included the well known phrase “less is more.” Just as there is beauty in lush, layered and intricate compositions, it also lies within simplicity and reservation. HCM fills in the gaps with lyrical gems and a candid voice that begs to be heard. Be sure to check out his latest project, Love Money Bullsh*t, on Bandcamp and keep your eyes (and ears) peeled for more HCM on The DJBooth in the future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 07/17/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.