If you listen to enough hip-hop, you can smell a fake a mile away. Lots of rappers put on a gangsta façade in order to make some coin, never having actually lived anything they rap about. Nobody has ever questioned the authenticity of Mobb Deep alumnus Havoc, though, as it’s common knowledge that he is one of the few who actually back up their personae. On his latest effort, Havoc and guest Lloyd Banks embrace their street roots, informing listeners, “This the Life We Chose.” The artist’s own gritty, sampled boardwork backs him and his collaborator as they take aim at the fakes. This record is part of Havoc’s forthcoming album, 13, set to drop next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm The Boss" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.