Everybody has to pay the price for bad living—even musicians. Seems obvious, but, as long as there are angsty teens scribbling “It’s better to burn out than fade away,” in the margins of their algebra notebooks, it’s a message that bears repeating: there’s absolutely nothing fun or romantic about self-destruction. Fortunately, as Havoc puts it on this new leak (the third off his forthcoming mixtape), we “Always Have A Choice” to set our lives on a better track. Set for inclusion on his forthcoming From Now On mixtape, the record finds the Mobb Deep rapper reflecting on his past, recounting how meaningless sex and overindulgence in liquor only served to sap his ambition and dig him deeper into depression. Producer Clams Casino’s beat and pitch-shifted hook, sampled from British rock group Morcheeba’s Fear & Love sets a haunting mood as the rapper delivers his cautionary tale. This thought-provoking cut, complete with such quotable lines as, “People make mistakes, but mistakes make people.” is sure to strike a chord with fans of reflective, one-hundred percent-real street lyricism. For more of Havoc’s hard-won insights, pick up a copy of his From Now On mixtape, scheduled to hit the ‘net “soon.”
Written by richard on 07/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm The Boss" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.