If you tuned in for Pabst & Jazz, the December mixtape single and title track from Asher Roth, then you’ve already been exposed to the relentless flows and braggadocious pen game of Hassani Kwess. If not, new single Kick the Bass, Chuck is as good an opportunity as any to get familiar with the Chicago-by-way-of-D.C. buzzmaker. Previously leaked to the ‘net in a lower-quality version but presented here in its finished form, this mixtape inclusion finds Kwess coming together with Midwest mainstay Chuck Inglish for a raw-and-uncut, gimmick-free exhibition of hip-hop excellence. Over the Cool Kids beatsmith’ grimy, old-school sample work (Extra credit to any reader who can identify that break!), Hassani goes gorillas on the mic, showcasing a rapid-fire, intricately-rhymed style sure to have lyrical heads hanging on his every syllable: “Bulldog sh*t, nuts on the beat like that kid straight lost it / Boss sh*t, ‘yac and lip service in my office / The line was there before I crossed it, softness.” Has this bold and arrogant banger left you craving more? Don’t touch that dial—though Ruthess as-yet lacks a drop date, it’s only a matter of time before Kwess kicks the project into full gear.
Written by richard on 01/9/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.