If you tuned in for Pabst & Jazz, the December mixtape single and title track from Asher Roth, then you’ve already been exposed to the relentless flows and braggadocious pen game of Hassani Kwess. If not, new single Kick the Bass, Chuck is as good an opportunity as any to get familiar with the Chicago-by-way-of-D.C. buzzmaker. Previously leaked to the ‘net in a lower-quality version but presented here in its finished form, this mixtape inclusion finds Kwess coming together with Midwest mainstay Chuck Inglish for a raw-and-uncut, gimmick-free exhibition of hip-hop excellence. Over the Cool Kids beatsmith’ grimy, old-school sample work (Extra credit to any reader who can identify that break!), Hassani goes gorillas on the mic, showcasing a rapid-fire, intricately-rhymed style sure to have lyrical heads hanging on his every syllable: “Bulldog sh*t, nuts on the beat like that kid straight lost it / Boss sh*t, ‘yac and lip service in my office / The line was there before I crossed it, softness.” Has this bold and arrogant banger left you craving more? Don’t touch that dial—though Ruthess as-yet lacks a drop date, it’s only a matter of time before Kwess kicks the project into full gear.
Written by richard on 01/9/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.