If you tuned in for Pabst & Jazz, the December mixtape single and title track from Asher Roth, then you’ve already been exposed to the relentless flows and braggadocious pen game of Hassani Kwess. If not, new single Kick the Bass, Chuck is as good an opportunity as any to get familiar with the Chicago-by-way-of-D.C. buzzmaker. Previously leaked to the ‘net in a lower-quality version but presented here in its finished form, this mixtape inclusion finds Kwess coming together with Midwest mainstay Chuck Inglish for a raw-and-uncut, gimmick-free exhibition of hip-hop excellence. Over the Cool Kids beatsmith’ grimy, old-school sample work (Extra credit to any reader who can identify that break!), Hassani goes gorillas on the mic, showcasing a rapid-fire, intricately-rhymed style sure to have lyrical heads hanging on his every syllable: “Bulldog sh*t, nuts on the beat like that kid straight lost it / Boss sh*t, ‘yac and lip service in my office / The line was there before I crossed it, softness.” Has this bold and arrogant banger left you craving more? Don’t touch that dial—though Ruthess as-yet lacks a drop date, it’s only a matter of time before Kwess kicks the project into full gear.
Written by richard on 01/9/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.