There are as many reasons for rocking the mic as there are emcees: some do it for the money, others for love of the spotlight, and others for sheer love of their craft. Hasan Salaam? For the Jersey-repping Booth newcomer, rap is the figurative shotgun he uses to embed his big ideas into as many skulls as possible. On new single 1911, Salaam gives listeners a taste of the revolutionary rhetoric and pop-culture polemic that await on his forthcoming EP. Flowing over Ari Why‘s driving sample work, the Jersey representative voices his frustrations with the current state of the game and opines on the controversial word choices of a certain V-Nasty. In the closing 16, he positions himself in the distinguished tradition of militant civil rights activism: “My albums are more Autobiography of Malcolm, AK by the windowsill / Rap for the memory of young Emmit Till, ridin’ shotgun with a shotty like the name Bobby Seale.” Hasan Salaam plans to donate the proceeds from his Music Is My Weapon EP (due out December 6) to the It Takes a Village foundation’s efforts to build a school, medical clinic and clean water well in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa. Check back for more definitive information on the initiative October 31, when the official video for 1911 hits DJBoothTV.
Written by richard on 10/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Father's Day" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.