There are as many reasons for rocking the mic as there are emcees: some do it for the money, others for love of the spotlight, and others for sheer love of their craft. Hasan Salaam? For the Jersey-repping Booth newcomer, rap is the figurative shotgun he uses to embed his big ideas into as many skulls as possible. On new single 1911, Salaam gives listeners a taste of the revolutionary rhetoric and pop-culture polemic that await on his forthcoming EP. Flowing over Ari Why‘s driving sample work, the Jersey representative voices his frustrations with the current state of the game and opines on the controversial word choices of a certain V-Nasty. In the closing 16, he positions himself in the distinguished tradition of militant civil rights activism: “My albums are more Autobiography of Malcolm, AK by the windowsill / Rap for the memory of young Emmit Till, ridin’ shotgun with a shotty like the name Bobby Seale.” Hasan Salaam plans to donate the proceeds from his Music Is My Weapon EP (due out December 6) to the It Takes a Village foundation’s efforts to build a school, medical clinic and clean water well in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa. Check back for more definitive information on the initiative October 31, when the official video for 1911 hits DJBoothTV.
Written by richard on 10/26/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.