What? The fact that we invited Has-Lo to spit for our Exclusive Freestyle Series with no prior Booth features, along with the dopeness of the entry itself, weren’t enough to convince you the Philly native had something special? Oh, ye of little faith! Regardless, after a listen to aptly-named mixtape single Fiber Optics, even the most cynical heads should see the light. As on Fucwitdat, the up-and-comer handles both production and mic duties, crafting a poignant, string-laced instrumental which he proceeds to lace with poetic insights on the topics of race and spirituality. With a sampled speech by onetime Black Panthers leader Eldridge Cleaver as his creative springboard, he weaves a dense web of imagery and allusion. Though the artist’s determination to reach “beyond the prosaic [and] into the esoteric” makes repeat listens a must, his commitment to equity and solidarity is crystal clear: “Civil rights on the mic, fightin’ for equality….” If this joint left you refreshed, more hot beats and lyrical substance await on Has-Lo’s In Case I Don’t Make It LP, released today and available now for online download.
Written by richard on 03/30/11
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.