As we learned this past Monday, reader favorite K. Sparks isn’t just a peerless punchline lyricist, a street philosopher, and a damned good impressionist—he’s also a hip-hop storyteller par excellence. Those who enjoyed the suspenseful Obsessed—so, just about everyone—will be happy to hear that the Queens emcee’s back with a couple new tales to spin. This time around, he’s teamed up with NYC beatsmith (and Booth newcomer) Hannibal King to tell the stories of two problem children drawn into the street life. Currently being promoted as the lead single off King’s forthcoming Eating Cornbread on the Milennium Falcon EP, Life’s Too Short finds King backing the emcee’s twin cautionary tales with a mellow mix of bells and jazz horns, topped off with a sampled vocal hook. HK’s old-school production, along with Sparks’ reader-acclaimed lyricism, make for a thought-provoking jam brimming with laid-back appeal. Fans can expect plenty more hot beats, plus guest bars by such Booth favorites as ESSO, Blu, and Harlem’s Cash, on Hannibal King’s digital debut EP, set to hit the ‘net in the near future.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.