When Hamilton Park introduced themselves to the Booth with debut single Thing Called Us, staff and readers rejoiced, hailing the Atlantic four-piece as torch-bearers for “real R&B.” “Tunefully understated,” however, isn’t gonna be enough to get pop and club-heads humming along—thus, Mr. Marcus,Anthony, Chris Voice and Royce P have hooked up with emcee/super-producer Jermaine Dupri in an attempt to cook up a remix that’ll pump up the energy without sacrificing the original‘s soul and sincerity. In addition to establishing the momentum with a driving rapped opener, J.D. gives the record a major production makeover, replacing Rondeau “Duke” Williams’ delicate ivory-tinkling with syncopated stomp-clap percussion and stuttering synths (along with plenty of the obligatory ‘ay!‘s). Despite the drastic shift in tone, the group’s vocals retain their shine, as does the record’s soulfully apologetic theme. Time to weigh in, Booth readers: have Hamilton Park successfully made Thing Called Us into a smash-hit? Debate away—and mark your calendars for the October 11 release of their self-titled EP, featuring this rendition of the record.
Written by richard on 10/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thing Called Us" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.