When Hamilton Park introduced themselves to the Booth with debut single Thing Called Us, staff and readers rejoiced, hailing the Atlantic four-piece as torch-bearers for “real R&B.” “Tunefully understated,” however, isn’t gonna be enough to get pop and club-heads humming along—thus, Mr. Marcus,Anthony, Chris Voice and Royce P have hooked up with emcee/super-producer Jermaine Dupri in an attempt to cook up a remix that’ll pump up the energy without sacrificing the original‘s soul and sincerity. In addition to establishing the momentum with a driving rapped opener, J.D. gives the record a major production makeover, replacing Rondeau “Duke” Williams’ delicate ivory-tinkling with syncopated stomp-clap percussion and stuttering synths (along with plenty of the obligatory ‘ay!‘s). Despite the drastic shift in tone, the group’s vocals retain their shine, as does the record’s soulfully apologetic theme. Time to weigh in, Booth readers: have Hamilton Park successfully made Thing Called Us into a smash-hit? Debate away—and mark your calendars for the October 11 release of their self-titled EP, featuring this rendition of the record.
Written by richard on 10/2/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thing Called Us" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.