When Hamilton Park introduced themselves to the Booth with debut single Thing Called Us, staff and readers rejoiced, hailing the Atlantic four-piece as torch-bearers for “real R&B.” “Tunefully understated,” however, isn’t gonna be enough to get pop and club-heads humming along—thus, Mr. Marcus,Anthony, Chris Voice and Royce P have hooked up with emcee/super-producer Jermaine Dupri in an attempt to cook up a remix that’ll pump up the energy without sacrificing the original‘s soul and sincerity. In addition to establishing the momentum with a driving rapped opener, J.D. gives the record a major production makeover, replacing Rondeau “Duke” Williams’ delicate ivory-tinkling with syncopated stomp-clap percussion and stuttering synths (along with plenty of the obligatory ‘ay!‘s). Despite the drastic shift in tone, the group’s vocals retain their shine, as does the record’s soulfully apologetic theme. Time to weigh in, Booth readers: have Hamilton Park successfully made Thing Called Us into a smash-hit? Debate away—and mark your calendars for the October 11 release of their self-titled EP, featuring this rendition of the record.
Written by richard on 10/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thing Called Us" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.