When Hamilton Park introduced themselves to the Booth with debut single Thing Called Us, staff and readers rejoiced, hailing the Atlantic four-piece as torch-bearers for “real R&B.” “Tunefully understated,” however, isn’t gonna be enough to get pop and club-heads humming along—thus, Mr. Marcus,Anthony, Chris Voice and Royce P have hooked up with emcee/super-producer Jermaine Dupri in an attempt to cook up a remix that’ll pump up the energy without sacrificing the original‘s soul and sincerity. In addition to establishing the momentum with a driving rapped opener, J.D. gives the record a major production makeover, replacing Rondeau “Duke” Williams’ delicate ivory-tinkling with syncopated stomp-clap percussion and stuttering synths (along with plenty of the obligatory ‘ay!‘s). Despite the drastic shift in tone, the group’s vocals retain their shine, as does the record’s soulfully apologetic theme. Time to weigh in, Booth readers: have Hamilton Park successfully made Thing Called Us into a smash-hit? Debate away—and mark your calendars for the October 11 release of their self-titled EP, featuring this rendition of the record.
Written by richard on 10/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thing Called Us" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.