Does it still count as subtext when you’re telling people to “read between the Lines?” If you didn’t catch the subtext of that rhetorical question, I kinda think not. Regardless, those who attend to the minutiae of HaLo‘s latest EP leak will find the record a goldmine of lyrical and musical subtleties, from the twinkling windchimes and soulful backing vocals that lace AMP‘s smooth instrumental, to the plethora of classic samples on the hook (including lines from Common‘s The 6th Sense, Mobb Deep‘s Quiet Storm and more), right on down to HaLo and Rapsody‘s complex bars. The headliner waxes sentimental on verse one, proclaiming that “Hip-Hop is more than your favorite song—it’s a way of life,” and thanking his Dad for inspiring him to be the best he could be. The Thank H.E.R. Now femcee takes a more contemplative tack on the back, reminiscing about a childhood split between the projects, the upper-class homes and “country Carolina.” Topped off with ad-libs from Jamla head honcho 9th Wonder, this multilayered banger is just the beginning of the quality tuneage in store on HaLo’s Booth-sponsored The Blind Poet LP, set to hit our frontpage this Tuesday, August 30.
Written by richard on 08/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Plan B (RIP Mr. Yancey)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.