When Travie McCoy struck out on his own to drop Booth-acclaimed, commercially-successful solo debut Lazarus, some fans feared that the Cali hitmaker was angling to leave his former crew behind. If you were one of those left wondering whether the Gym Class Heroes would survive its frontman’s transition to pop stardom, new single Stereo Hearts should be just the thing to allay your doubts. On this exuberant selection, instrumentalists Disashi, Eric and Matt collide with producer Benny Blanco behind the boards, cooking up a lush, bouncy hip-pop backdrop for McCoy’s picturesque musings on love, loss and the power of music. Comparing himself to an trusty old-school boom box that seen its share of bumps and bruises, he asks listeners, “Don’t get mad at me / when you have to purchase mad D batteries.” Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the hook and poignant bridge. Time for readers to weigh in—does this lead single leave you with high hopes for GCH’s forthcoming set? If you like what you’re hearing, keep it locked for details on The Papercut Chronicles II, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/12/11
Submit your Rating
Fueled By Ramen/WMG
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cookie Jar ft. The-Dream" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.