Summer Time has become synonymous with hot and heavy romances, but not necessarily ones of longevity. It’s the tempting “this isn’t going anywhere but we might as well have fun while it lasts” type of love. Summertime, Group Without A Name’s (GWN) first DJBooth feature, might become the new summer love anthem. Formed in 2009 by Izzy, FL Song, Lady K and Mookie, who were all Howard University freshman at the time, GWN has since added Jay, Sanka and The New Guy to form an orchestral hip-hop jazz line-up. On SummerTime, the male and female vocalists balance each other effortlessly, complimented by saxophone solos that ebb and flow and drums and keys that ride from smooth and sexy to up-tempo and wild and back again. GWN’s youthful reinterpretation of the jazz genre is extremely fresh, with an earnest and raw sound that captures the subdued mood of summer. So while they’ll have no need for their summer fling come September 21, they will need you to keep checking the Booth for more music from GWN as an as-yet untitled and unscheduled larger project (hopefully) takes shape.
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 07/26/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.