There are few subjects on which more ink has been spilled, and more verses sung, than love. And despite it all, we haven’t come one iota closer to understanding it. Recognizing that words have to end somewhere, Washington, D.C.-based jazz/soul/R&B crew GWN (Group Without a Name) offer a novel solution to romantic uncertainty on their second Booth feature: “Shut Up, just stop thinking… be like Nike and just do.” On this freshly-released promo single, Izzy, FL Song, Lady K, Mookie, Jay and Eliot Seppa offer listeners an object lesson in dealing with matters of the heart, vocally depicting a couple on the brink of commitment but unsure how to proceed. As you might guess from the jam’s pro-action, anti-talk theme, it’s the music that’s the focus here; from the glittering piano chords and soaring flute lines to the restless yet understated rhythm section, the record boasts a level of musicianship rarely heard in modern urban music. Digging this preternaturally smooth selection? Stay tuned—while Shut Up isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from these talented DMV denizens.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.