There are few subjects on which more ink has been spilled, and more verses sung, than love. And despite it all, we haven’t come one iota closer to understanding it. Recognizing that words have to end somewhere, Washington, D.C.-based jazz/soul/R&B crew GWN (Group Without a Name) offer a novel solution to romantic uncertainty on their second Booth feature: “Shut Up, just stop thinking… be like Nike and just do.” On this freshly-released promo single, Izzy, FL Song, Lady K, Mookie, Jay and Eliot Seppa offer listeners an object lesson in dealing with matters of the heart, vocally depicting a couple on the brink of commitment but unsure how to proceed. As you might guess from the jam’s pro-action, anti-talk theme, it’s the music that’s the focus here; from the glittering piano chords and soaring flute lines to the restless yet understated rhythm section, the record boasts a level of musicianship rarely heard in modern urban music. Digging this preternaturally smooth selection? Stay tuned—while Shut Up isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from these talented DMV denizens.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)