There are few subjects on which more ink has been spilled, and more verses sung, than love. And despite it all, we haven’t come one iota closer to understanding it. Recognizing that words have to end somewhere, Washington, D.C.-based jazz/soul/R&B crew GWN (Group Without a Name) offer a novel solution to romantic uncertainty on their second Booth feature: “Shut Up, just stop thinking… be like Nike and just do.” On this freshly-released promo single, Izzy, FL Song, Lady K, Mookie, Jay and Eliot Seppa offer listeners an object lesson in dealing with matters of the heart, vocally depicting a couple on the brink of commitment but unsure how to proceed. As you might guess from the jam’s pro-action, anti-talk theme, it’s the music that’s the focus here; from the glittering piano chords and soaring flute lines to the restless yet understated rhythm section, the record boasts a level of musicianship rarely heard in modern urban music. Digging this preternaturally smooth selection? Stay tuned—while Shut Up isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from these talented DMV denizens.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.