There are few subjects on which more ink has been spilled, and more verses sung, than love. And despite it all, we haven’t come one iota closer to understanding it. Recognizing that words have to end somewhere, Washington, D.C.-based jazz/soul/R&B crew GWN (Group Without a Name) offer a novel solution to romantic uncertainty on their second Booth feature: “Shut Up, just stop thinking… be like Nike and just do.” On this freshly-released promo single, Izzy, FL Song, Lady K, Mookie, Jay and Eliot Seppa offer listeners an object lesson in dealing with matters of the heart, vocally depicting a couple on the brink of commitment but unsure how to proceed. As you might guess from the jam’s pro-action, anti-talk theme, it’s the music that’s the focus here; from the glittering piano chords and soaring flute lines to the restless yet understated rhythm section, the record boasts a level of musicianship rarely heard in modern urban music. Digging this preternaturally smooth selection? Stay tuned—while Shut Up isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from these talented DMV denizens.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.