In his review of We Are Young Money, our own Nathan S. observed that, for as long as folks have been pointing to Gudda Gudda as the label’s “Next Big Thing,” the New Orleans native has yet to truly justify the hype. Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and, fittingly, Gudda’s first solo feature, mixtape cut I Don’t Like the Look, sees him drawing inspiration from an iconic purveyor of sweets, Willy Wonka. Here, Jahlil Beats delivers a hypnotically sparse groove driven by syncopated, A Milli-style percussion as the headliner spits a relentless stream of oddball quotables: “I’m a great white, you’s a flounder / fish and a b*tch, I’ll tuna everything around ya.” Of course, it’s hard to out-free associate Young Money boss Lil Wayne, whose closing bars find him in top form, name-dropping Bill Gates and somehow managing to make “jalepeño” rhyme with “ballerina.” Does the master overshadow his student here? I’ll leave that for you to decide. Either way, Young Money devotees will want to keep it locked for the latest details on the headliner’s Back 2 Guddaville mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Every Girl" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.