In his review of We Are Young Money, our own Nathan S. observed that, for as long as folks have been pointing to Gudda Gudda as the label’s “Next Big Thing,” the New Orleans native has yet to truly justify the hype. Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and, fittingly, Gudda’s first solo feature, mixtape cut I Don’t Like the Look, sees him drawing inspiration from an iconic purveyor of sweets, Willy Wonka. Here, Jahlil Beats delivers a hypnotically sparse groove driven by syncopated, A Milli-style percussion as the headliner spits a relentless stream of oddball quotables: “I’m a great white, you’s a flounder / fish and a b*tch, I’ll tuna everything around ya.” Of course, it’s hard to out-free associate Young Money boss Lil Wayne, whose closing bars find him in top form, name-dropping Bill Gates and somehow managing to make “jalepeño” rhyme with “ballerina.” Does the master overshadow his student here? I’ll leave that for you to decide. Either way, Young Money devotees will want to keep it locked for the latest details on the headliner’s Back 2 Guddaville mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Every Girl" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.