In his review of We Are Young Money, our own Nathan S. observed that, for as long as folks have been pointing to Gudda Gudda as the label’s “Next Big Thing,” the New Orleans native has yet to truly justify the hype. Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and, fittingly, Gudda’s first solo feature, mixtape cut I Don’t Like the Look, sees him drawing inspiration from an iconic purveyor of sweets, Willy Wonka. Here, Jahlil Beats delivers a hypnotically sparse groove driven by syncopated, A Milli-style percussion as the headliner spits a relentless stream of oddball quotables: “I’m a great white, you’s a flounder / fish and a b*tch, I’ll tuna everything around ya.” Of course, it’s hard to out-free associate Young Money boss Lil Wayne, whose closing bars find him in top form, name-dropping Bill Gates and somehow managing to make “jalepeño” rhyme with “ballerina.” Does the master overshadow his student here? I’ll leave that for you to decide. Either way, Young Money devotees will want to keep it locked for the latest details on the headliner’s Back 2 Guddaville mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Every Girl" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.