Last week Gucci Mane joined his jailed compatriots T.I., Lil Wayne and Lil’ Boosie when he was sentenced to 12 months for violating probation, a sentence that will put him behind bars at the height of his popularity. Regardless of Gucci’s legal troubles, he and his label are pressing on, releasing his third single Worst Enemy, a song that in retrospect is strangely prophetic: it looks like he is indeed his own worst enemy. Most importantly, Worst Enemy is not your average Gucci song. Sure the Drumma Boy beat contains your usual Southern assortment of booming bass and stuttering drum rolls, but unlike his other hook-driven tracks, Gucci take a more lyrical approach here, expounding on his place in the game with slow rhymes like “No mystery, my infamy got me in hip-hop history.” Ok, so it’s not exactly One Mic, but it’s frankly the best Gucci can do. Assuming it’s not pushed back until post-jail, Gucci’s new, suddenly aptly-titled album The State vs. Radric Davis is set to drop December 8.
Written by richard on 11/15/09
Submit your Rating
1017 Brick Squad/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.