Wait, I thought Stuart Scott trademarked the phrase “Haterade” way back in 2005? Shouldn’t the esteemed Mr. Scott at least get a credit next to Nicki Minaj and Pharell on Gucci Mane’s new single? Sportcenter references aside, Gucci’s latest sounds primarily like a Pharrell track he happens to drops a couple guest verses on, a feeling no doubt due to The Neptunes pervasive and instantly recognizable production style, which takes over the song. On the mic, unlike his fast work on yesterday’s For the Hood, here Gucci is back to his slow, at times incomprehensible rhyme style, and if that wasn’t enough to bring out the haters, Nicki Minaj also drops in for a relatively subdued guest verse that finds her striking a surprisingly introspective tone…kind of. The aforementioned haters already decided how they felt about this one before they pressed play, but I’ll be interested in seeing how the rest of Booth Nation feels. If you’re eagerly drinking down this Haterade (the blue flavor’s the best) be sure to cop the recently un-incarcerated Mr. Mane’s new album, The Appeal: Georgia’s Most Wanted, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
Submit your Rating
1017 Brick Squad/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.