Wait, I thought Stuart Scott trademarked the phrase “Haterade” way back in 2005? Shouldn’t the esteemed Mr. Scott at least get a credit next to Nicki Minaj and Pharell on Gucci Mane’s new single? Sportcenter references aside, Gucci’s latest sounds primarily like a Pharrell track he happens to drops a couple guest verses on, a feeling no doubt due to The Neptunes pervasive and instantly recognizable production style, which takes over the song. On the mic, unlike his fast work on yesterday’s For the Hood, here Gucci is back to his slow, at times incomprehensible rhyme style, and if that wasn’t enough to bring out the haters, Nicki Minaj also drops in for a relatively subdued guest verse that finds her striking a surprisingly introspective tone…kind of. The aforementioned haters already decided how they felt about this one before they pressed play, but I’ll be interested in seeing how the rest of Booth Nation feels. If you’re eagerly drinking down this Haterade (the blue flavor’s the best) be sure to cop the recently un-incarcerated Mr. Mane’s new album, The Appeal: Georgia’s Most Wanted, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
Submit your Rating
1017 Brick Squad/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.