Wait, I thought Stuart Scott trademarked the phrase “Haterade” way back in 2005? Shouldn’t the esteemed Mr. Scott at least get a credit next to Nicki Minaj and Pharell on Gucci Mane’s new single? Sportcenter references aside, Gucci’s latest sounds primarily like a Pharrell track he happens to drops a couple guest verses on, a feeling no doubt due to The Neptunes pervasive and instantly recognizable production style, which takes over the song. On the mic, unlike his fast work on yesterday’s For the Hood, here Gucci is back to his slow, at times incomprehensible rhyme style, and if that wasn’t enough to bring out the haters, Nicki Minaj also drops in for a relatively subdued guest verse that finds her striking a surprisingly introspective tone…kind of. The aforementioned haters already decided how they felt about this one before they pressed play, but I’ll be interested in seeing how the rest of Booth Nation feels. If you’re eagerly drinking down this Haterade (the blue flavor’s the best) be sure to cop the recently un-incarcerated Mr. Mane’s new album, The Appeal: Georgia’s Most Wanted, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
1017 Brick Squad/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.