Wait, I thought Stuart Scott trademarked the phrase “Haterade” way back in 2005? Shouldn’t the esteemed Mr. Scott at least get a credit next to Nicki Minaj and Pharell on Gucci Mane’s new single? Sportcenter references aside, Gucci’s latest sounds primarily like a Pharrell track he happens to drops a couple guest verses on, a feeling no doubt due to The Neptunes pervasive and instantly recognizable production style, which takes over the song. On the mic, unlike his fast work on yesterday’s For the Hood, here Gucci is back to his slow, at times incomprehensible rhyme style, and if that wasn’t enough to bring out the haters, Nicki Minaj also drops in for a relatively subdued guest verse that finds her striking a surprisingly introspective tone…kind of. The aforementioned haters already decided how they felt about this one before they pressed play, but I’ll be interested in seeing how the rest of Booth Nation feels. If you’re eagerly drinking down this Haterade (the blue flavor’s the best) be sure to cop the recently un-incarcerated Mr. Mane’s new album, The Appeal: Georgia’s Most Wanted, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
1017 Brick Squad/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.