It’s taken a long time for Grynch to carve out his niche in the game but, now that he’s made it, he ain’t going nowhere. On the latest single selection off his forthcoming album, the Pacific Northwestern fast-riser celebrates the fact that he’s come So Far without compromising his artistic vision. The always-dope Jake One handles production duties, juxtaposing sunny synths and a strutting percussion rhythm with jagged guitar riffs as the freestyle series alumnus announces the advent of a new day for hip-hop: “If it’s the Dark Ages of rap, then this the break of dawn.” An old hand at upbeat, philosophical bangers like this one, Rhymesayers mainstay Brother Ali reflects on life’s uncertainties (“It’s like one day you’re po’ and the next day you blow / but what’s between those two points, nobody know.”) and the brain-draining effects of mass media (“TV made us so f*ckin dumb that we can’t seem to manage how to walk and chew our bubble gum.”) on the back. Complete with Shaprece‘s appropriately buoyant chorus vocals, this joint is just one of many bangers to be found on Grynch’s Perspective LP, due out March 2.
Written by richard on 02/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.