The other day a friend of mine informed me that, in his younger days, Mr. Rogers served the country as a Navy Seal, and that those cardigan sweaters were actually intended to cover up his impressive collection of military tattoos. Total B.S., as it turns out—but one true fact you might not know is that his first love, and his first area of collegiate study, was music. Thus, I have to think the PBS icon would appreciate Grynch‘s latest promo single, which finds the Seattle native taking inspiration from Rogers as he enjoys a beautiful day in his neighborhood. Jake One keeps it chill on the production tip, accenting a soulful sample with synth accents as the freestyle series alumnus strolls through his home streets, soaking in the sun and the scenery: “Chillin’ by the beach I peep my surroundings as I look around / I see the mountains in the distance and the Puget Sound.” In addition to being a damn good advertisement for Seattle tourism, this breezy jam is sure to leaving listeners craving more new tunes from Grynch; if that’s the case, keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest!
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Grynch’s Griff J-directed Mister Rogers visual.
Written by richard on 01/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)