The philosopher Blaise Pascal famously reasoned that, since believers in God have nothing to lose and everything to gain by keeping faith while heathens face an eternity of hellfire and damnation if they’re wrong, it’s wise to wager on the Man Upstairs. Of course, my dead French homie didn’t factor in the struggle to resist the pleasures of the flesh, the long, boring services and the myriad other factors that make the straight-and-narrow so damn easy to stray from. Just ask Mike Schpitz and Pete Syke, together known as Grumpy Old Men; on the latest leak (and Booth-exclusive world premiere) off their forthcoming street album, the emcees Testify on their personal battles to ward off temptation and stay on the Lord’s good side. Flowing over Ill Brown‘s bumping chopped-sample backdrop, Schpitz, Sayke and Booth newcomer Dre Dai weigh the desire to hedge their spiritual bets against their desire to drink, smoke, womanize and spend Sundays watching the game. A fresh, humorous cut certain to resonate with any who are now or ever have been in the fold, Testify is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on G.O.M.‘s Sunday Skool LP, coming soon.
Written by richard on 10/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.