Premiered in the Booth last week, the inaugural leak off Grumpy Old Men‘s forthcoming mixtape found emcees Mike Schpitz and Pete Sayke voicing their dissatisfaction with today’s America through a tragic tale of racially-motivated violence. As clearly as they perceive society’s ills, however, they’re not just, well, grumpy—contrary to their collective stage name, they cultivate an attitude of gratitude and positivity on the personal tip. On One for the Road (another world premiere), the twosome admit that, though the long hours, uncertainty and itinerant lifestyle make their road road to success a rough one, they’re determined to make the most of what they’ve got. Between Schpitz’ and Sayke’s respectively down-to-earth and braggadocious contributions, Chi-town fave Neak grabs the mic to lace Wes P. blissfully mellow jazz-soul grooves (sampled from Anita Baker’s Angel) with a more poetically abstract account of his hustle. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned—Grumpy Old Men’s Sunday Skool LP has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 10/4/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.