Premiered in the Booth last week, the inaugural leak off Grumpy Old Men‘s forthcoming mixtape found emcees Mike Schpitz and Pete Sayke voicing their dissatisfaction with today’s America through a tragic tale of racially-motivated violence. As clearly as they perceive society’s ills, however, they’re not just, well, grumpy—contrary to their collective stage name, they cultivate an attitude of gratitude and positivity on the personal tip. On One for the Road (another world premiere), the twosome admit that, though the long hours, uncertainty and itinerant lifestyle make their road road to success a rough one, they’re determined to make the most of what they’ve got. Between Schpitz’ and Sayke’s respectively down-to-earth and braggadocious contributions, Chi-town fave Neak grabs the mic to lace Wes P. blissfully mellow jazz-soul grooves (sampled from Anita Baker’s Angel) with a more poetically abstract account of his hustle. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned—Grumpy Old Men’s Sunday Skool LP has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 10/4/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.