On Blueprint classic Song Cry, Jay-Z revisited his and his ex-girl’s early days as grade-school sweeethearts: “We was together on the block since free lunch / We should’ve been together having Four Seasons brunch.” Though Kansas’ Mike Schpitz and Cincinnati native Pete Sayke didn’t come up on the same streets, they are hoping that, together, they’ll be able to transcend their humble beginnings and create a better life for themselves and their people. Making its world premiere in the Booth along with its official visuals, mixtape title track #FreeLunch finds Chi-town’s Slot-A flipping the aforementioned Hov sample into a gritty boom-bap backdrop for the duo’s contemplative bars. Schpitz runs point, juxtaposing his early dreams of high-rollerdom with the simple, yet contented lifestyle he currently enjoys: “I go to sleep knowin’ that my lady and my son are are safe / And they ain’t stressin’ bout the money that I’m gonna make.” Sayke arguably steals the show on the back end, reflecting on life’s cheapness in the ‘hood as he eulogizes a old homie who was shot down just as he was beginning to find his way in the world. #FreeLunch, Grumpy Old Men’s sophomore collaborative street release, has yet to receive a drop date. As always, however, fans can keep it locked to the Booth for the latest news and tunes.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.