On Blueprint classic Song Cry, Jay-Z revisited his and his ex-girl’s early days as grade-school sweeethearts: “We was together on the block since free lunch / We should’ve been together having Four Seasons brunch.” Though Kansas’ Mike Schpitz and Cincinnati native Pete Sayke didn’t come up on the same streets, they are hoping that, together, they’ll be able to transcend their humble beginnings and create a better life for themselves and their people. Making its world premiere in the Booth along with its official visuals, mixtape title track #FreeLunch finds Chi-town’s Slot-A flipping the aforementioned Hov sample into a gritty boom-bap backdrop for the duo’s contemplative bars. Schpitz runs point, juxtaposing his early dreams of high-rollerdom with the simple, yet contented lifestyle he currently enjoys: “I go to sleep knowin’ that my lady and my son are are safe / And they ain’t stressin’ bout the money that I’m gonna make.” Sayke arguably steals the show on the back end, reflecting on life’s cheapness in the ‘hood as he eulogizes a old homie who was shot down just as he was beginning to find his way in the world. #FreeLunch, Grumpy Old Men’s sophomore collaborative street release, has yet to receive a drop date. As always, however, fans can keep it locked to the Booth for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 04/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.