Mike Schpitz and Pete Sayke of Grumpy Old Men may not have the cash and multitudes of screaming fans enjoyed by rap’s reigning hitmakers—not just yet—but the Chi-town residents could teach the major-leaguers a thing or two about rhyming from the heart. On the inaugural leak off their next collaborative full-length (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!), the twosome remind their peers what realness sounds like, exhibiting a passion for the music that bleeds through their every syllable. Jake One turns in a characteristically dope effort on the production tip, layering rhythmic vocal samples and soulful synth chords over a crisp breakbeat as the duo interweave high-impact trash-talk with allusive punchline lyricism: “Quit playin’, b*tches we just sayin’, we on an incline and you’re slippin’ in quicksand / Sh*t man, I’m a bald-head assassin, I’m Hitman.” B Team or no, the Grumpy Old Men are clearly on their A-game. If you’re feeling it, stay tuned for more fresh leaks leading up to the yet unscheduled release of the crew’s sophomore full-length, #FreeLunch.
Written by richard on 03/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.