Mike Schpitz and Pete Sayke of Grumpy Old Men may not have the cash and multitudes of screaming fans enjoyed by rap’s reigning hitmakers—not just yet—but the Chi-town residents could teach the major-leaguers a thing or two about rhyming from the heart. On the inaugural leak off their next collaborative full-length (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!), the twosome remind their peers what realness sounds like, exhibiting a passion for the music that bleeds through their every syllable. Jake One turns in a characteristically dope effort on the production tip, layering rhythmic vocal samples and soulful synth chords over a crisp breakbeat as the duo interweave high-impact trash-talk with allusive punchline lyricism: “Quit playin’, b*tches we just sayin’, we on an incline and you’re slippin’ in quicksand / Sh*t man, I’m a bald-head assassin, I’m Hitman.” B Team or no, the Grumpy Old Men are clearly on their A-game. If you’re feeling it, stay tuned for more fresh leaks leading up to the yet unscheduled release of the crew’s sophomore full-length, #FreeLunch.
Written by richard on 03/18/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.