Mike Schpitz and Pete Sayke of Grumpy Old Men may not have the cash and multitudes of screaming fans enjoyed by rap’s reigning hitmakers—not just yet—but the Chi-town residents could teach the major-leaguers a thing or two about rhyming from the heart. On the inaugural leak off their next collaborative full-length (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!), the twosome remind their peers what realness sounds like, exhibiting a passion for the music that bleeds through their every syllable. Jake One turns in a characteristically dope effort on the production tip, layering rhythmic vocal samples and soulful synth chords over a crisp breakbeat as the duo interweave high-impact trash-talk with allusive punchline lyricism: “Quit playin’, b*tches we just sayin’, we on an incline and you’re slippin’ in quicksand / Sh*t man, I’m a bald-head assassin, I’m Hitman.” B Team or no, the Grumpy Old Men are clearly on their A-game. If you’re feeling it, stay tuned for more fresh leaks leading up to the yet unscheduled release of the crew’s sophomore full-length, #FreeLunch.
Written by richard on 03/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.