Have two years really passed since Grieves last blessed our pages with a fresh feature? Indeed, to answer my own question, they have. Luckily for fans, the Rhymesayers signee and Seattle native hasn’t lost a step between December 2011’s Lost in the Sun and Shreds, the newly-released lead single off his fourth full-length; this track proves he’s still the unorthodox, somewhat angst-ridden spitter you’ve come to know and love. On the production tip, by contrast, things most definitely have changed. No longer joined at the hip to Budo, Grieves enlists B. Lewis‘s services behind the boards. Fueled by eight-bit synths, the beatsmith’s instrumental sounds like the title screen music from an NES classic that never was. Are you feeling this joint’s out-the-box style? Those who answer in the affirmative can keep it locked for more fresh cuts leading up to the March 25, release of Grieves’s senior set, Winter & the Wolves.
Update: We have added the Matt Hobbs-directed Shreds visuals for Grieves’ Shreds single.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.