Though a talented artist, Seattle up-and-comer Grieves would be the first to admit that he’s not a perfect individual. In fact, he has admitted it, repeatedly and in great detail, in his previous Booth features. Single numero trois off his forthcoming full-length, On the Rocks finds the freestyle series alumnus in his usual, sardonically self-deprecating form. Backed by his own dark, off-kilter synth-bass groove (Rhymesayers artists sure love their descending, minor-key bass lines, huh?), Grieves pours himself a glass of rye and gets down to the business of cataloging his personal foibles – he “ain’t no scholar,” he’s stingy with his cash (but still can’t seem to make rent payments on time) and, of course, his self control when it comes to liquor is highly questionable. Whatever other virtues Grieves may lack, the man’s certainly got honesty covered, and his witty confessional rhymes have the smoothness and bite of a top-shelf whiskey. For more glass-half-empty lyrical reflections, check out Grieves’ latest album, Together/Apart, when it hits stores on June 21.
Listen to More: Grieves
Written by richard on 05/8/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)