Though a talented artist, Seattle up-and-comer Grieves would be the first to admit that he’s not a perfect individual. In fact, he has admitted it, repeatedly and in great detail, in his previous Booth features. Single numero trois off his forthcoming full-length, On the Rocks finds the freestyle series alumnus in his usual, sardonically self-deprecating form. Backed by his own dark, off-kilter synth-bass groove (Rhymesayers artists sure love their descending, minor-key bass lines, huh?), Grieves pours himself a glass of rye and gets down to the business of cataloging his personal foibles – he “ain’t no scholar,” he’s stingy with his cash (but still can’t seem to make rent payments on time) and, of course, his self control when it comes to liquor is highly questionable. Whatever other virtues Grieves may lack, the man’s certainly got honesty covered, and his witty confessional rhymes have the smoothness and bite of a top-shelf whiskey. For more glass-half-empty lyrical reflections, check out Grieves’ latest album, Together/Apart, when it hits stores on June 21.
Written by richard on 05/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.