Though a talented artist, Seattle up-and-comer Grieves would be the first to admit that he’s not a perfect individual. In fact, he has admitted it, repeatedly and in great detail, in his previous Booth features. Single numero trois off his forthcoming full-length, On the Rocks finds the freestyle series alumnus in his usual, sardonically self-deprecating form. Backed by his own dark, off-kilter synth-bass groove (Rhymesayers artists sure love their descending, minor-key bass lines, huh?), Grieves pours himself a glass of rye and gets down to the business of cataloging his personal foibles – he “ain’t no scholar,” he’s stingy with his cash (but still can’t seem to make rent payments on time) and, of course, his self control when it comes to liquor is highly questionable. Whatever other virtues Grieves may lack, the man’s certainly got honesty covered, and his witty confessional rhymes have the smoothness and bite of a top-shelf whiskey. For more glass-half-empty lyrical reflections, check out Grieves’ latest album, Together/Apart, when it hits stores on June 21.
Listen to More: Grieves Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.