“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” I usually try to avoid busting out the Nietzsche quotes in mixed company (it weirds people out), but I’m making an exception today – because, if Grieves’ latest single is any indication, the Rhymesayers emcee is a case in point. Bloody Poetry finds producer Budo cooking up a sardonically dark mix of plodding piano, mellow guitar riffs and even a dash of jazzy brass as the freestyle alumnus spits a surrealistic chronicle of his disillusionment with the game – at least I think it’s the music game that’s at issue here. In any case, the Chicago native’s witnessed scenes that would send a chill up anyone’s spine: “Paranormal, slowly being called to the gleam, where the ghosts gather nightly and sell the devil their dreams…” It all adds up to an entertainingly morbid glimpse into the artist’s headspace. Will Grieves’ war against his inner demons ultimately make him a stronger man and artist? Guess we’ll just have to wait for debut LP Together/Apart‘s release later this year to find out…
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.