“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” I usually try to avoid busting out the Nietzsche quotes in mixed company (it weirds people out), but I’m making an exception today – because, if Grieves’ latest single is any indication, the Rhymesayers emcee is a case in point. Bloody Poetry finds producer Budo cooking up a sardonically dark mix of plodding piano, mellow guitar riffs and even a dash of jazzy brass as the freestyle alumnus spits a surrealistic chronicle of his disillusionment with the game – at least I think it’s the music game that’s at issue here. In any case, the Chicago native’s witnessed scenes that would send a chill up anyone’s spine: “Paranormal, slowly being called to the gleam, where the ghosts gather nightly and sell the devil their dreams…” It all adds up to an entertainingly morbid glimpse into the artist’s headspace. Will Grieves’ war against his inner demons ultimately make him a stronger man and artist? Guess we’ll just have to wait for debut LP Together/Apart‘s release later this year to find out…
Written by richard on 05/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smile for the Blade" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)