Have you ever met one of those guys who’s just plain weird, but weird in this unselfconscious, amiable way that somehow makes him really, really cool? The kind of guy who rolls around town in a old Volkswagen bus, blasting the Mary Poppins soundtrack at trunk-rattling volume as he and his equally eccentric buddies spit stoned freestyles and wolf-whistle at every lady they pass? Philadelphia indie vet Grand Agent strikes me as that kind of guy. On his new promo single, Minivan, the Booth newcomer teams up with veteran slanguists Camp Lo and Los Angeles “rapper mom” Raynge to flow over one of the more unique beats I’ve heard in recent weeks; centered around a Chipmunk-Disney vocal sample completely unrelated to the record’s theme (ostensibly, the track’s about the artists’ experiences touring Europe), Tribeca‘s production has an unapologetically eccentric vibe that fits perfectly with the collaborators’ left-of-center rhymes. I can’t say I completely get it, but Grand Agent’s clearly onto something here—if you agree, keep it locked to our front page for more from this uniquely dope indie talent.
Written by richard on 07/27/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.